Using Gaelic with your child
- Display copies of simple words and phrases in your home. Gaelic4parents has a selection of words and phrases.
- Read Gaelic books to your child or listen to Gaelic stories with them. Acair Books and the Gaelic Books Council sell Gaelic books, CDs and DVDs for all ages.
- Choose Gaelic medium childcare. More information about Gaelic childcare is avalible through SCMA (Scottish Child-minding Association).
- If you can speak Gaelic, speak the language to your child. Children will pick up the language easily if they hear it spoken regularly.
- Play Gaelic songs to your baby. Play Gaelic CDs at home and in the car.
- BBC Alba has lots of different programmes that you could watch to familiarise yourself with the language. You can also watch and listen to Gaelic programmes on the BBC Alba website.
- BBC Alba has a range of programs suitable for young children.
- Encourage other families to speak Gaelic with their children.