why should children learn gaelic?
Some of the benefits of bilingualism and Gaelic Medium education include:
Being bilingual helps children become more aware of language itself and how it works. A child speaking Gaelic will know that some nouns are masculine and feminine. This makes it easier to learn languages such as French and Spanish where the same rules apply.
- Having two languages offers many career opportunities.
- They are better readers, and generally find it easier to learn other languages.
- Children in Gaelic medium education (GME) can be fluent in two languages with advantages learning other ones.
- Having two languages can access different literatures and more ways of thinking and acting.
- Gaelic bilinguals have a better understanding of the wider Scottish cultural identity.
- Children exposed to different languages at an early age tend to be more focused at 'multitasking', than children who speak one language.
- Research shows that children educated through Gaelic are on par with or outperform children educated in one language.